There are many important things to consider when applying for a partner visa in Australia:

  1. Same-sex relationships, de facto marriages, and registered relationships are recognised in Australia. In South Australia, and some other Australian states and territories, it is possible to register your relationship. MSM Legal is a proud member of the Safe Space Alliance, providing a space where the LGBTQI+ community can freely express themselves without fear.
  2. Fiancé/fiancée visas (subclass 300) must be applied for when the prospective spouse is overseas. However, these visas tend to have a faster processing time than some other partner visas. However, once a prospective spouse visa is granted, the partner must then apply for the temporary onshore partner visa, and then the permanent partner visa. It is a 3-stage process if you begin with a fiancé/fiancée visa.
  3. If you apply for a partner visa (subclass 820) while in Australia (onshore), you might be granted Bridging Visa A, which permits you to work and study in Australia while your application is being processed.
  4. If you and your partner have a child together or have been together for 3 years or more, the Department may decide to issue a permanent visa when they process your application, instead of a temporary visa.
  5. If your relationship breaks down, or your partner dies, you may still be eligible for your visa, but it can become complicated. If the circumstances in your relationship have changed, please seek legal advice as soon as possible.

Do you need help with your partner visa application? The partner visa process can be complicated.

Let MSM Legal guide you each step of the way. Our registered migration agents and experienced immigration lawyers can ensure your visa application process moves along smoothly.

An infographic detailing the process of applying for an Australian Partner Visa